Pages

February 04, 2013

Values

This weekend I went on a yacht for a little party. At one point, one of the fellow boat goers asked, "How many time have you been on a yacht for a party?" I thought about it for a moment, then raised two fingers. Then remembered another time, and put up a third finger. The guy looked at me with surprise. He made a comment about how he wasn't as awesome as I am, so his answer would have been zero. Apparently he had meant the question to be rhetorical.

The entire time everyone kept going on about how awesome it was that we were on a boat for this party. I'm sure someone sang the "I'm on a boat" song. It was like this monumental moment of glory for some of them. But in all honesty, I have no clue why on earth everyone seems to value this nautical experience so much. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to be on boats. But we live on an island and they're pretty common, so... get over it?

I'm totally becoming one of those people who's jaded to things that other people find noteworthy and exciting. But at the same time, there are things that I lack that others don't even think twice about. To me, a party on a yacht isn't a big deal anymore. To you, having an oven and your own bathroom might be no big deal anymore. But I would totally trade a yacht party for my own bathroom and an oven.

4 comments:

  1. Urgh shit... well i've never been on a party on a yacht but I'd like to. Also the surprise new roommate thing sounds awful :(. Whilst in Australia - well fuck, I'm just going to put it in an email cos otherwise it's all out of context, but imagine waking up to someone showering at 5am. It SUCKED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure whether I'm right or not, but isn't it quite commons for Americans living near big bodies of water to get a chance to go to a party on a boat? I've been on one, and that was on a school trip in middle school!

    Having your own bathroom is reeeeallly nice and so underrated! (Luckily for me, my roommates and I are all on the same demented sleep schedule and are all equally clean/messy, so it's not bad at the moment.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to a school formal on a boat once and it was fun, but it got sooooooo sweaty and gross! I hear you on the not having an oven thing, though. I didn't have one when I lived in Beijing and I missed it terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love being on boats, and I think it's just a luxury that we can't always do so it's exciting for some people.

    ReplyDelete